The legal publication Asia Paciﬁc Legal 500 has rated the firm very highly for our Real Estate & Construction practice, ranking us in Tier 1 from 2013 -2018. AsiaLaw Proﬁles 2013-2018 have also highly recommended the ﬁrm for this practice area. In the 2017 annual survey of in-house counsel conducted by the publication Asian-MENA Counsel, the firm was named an “Asian-MENA Counsel & In-House Community: Malaysia Firm of the Year 2017” for Real Estate/Construction. Another publication, Benchmark Litigation, has also ranked the firm in Tier 1 for Construction. Partner Choon Hon Leng has been recognised for his experience and expertise.
Acknowledged as one of the market leaders, the firm has a large team of lawyers dedicated to our construction law practice. We provide specialist, innovative, practical, commercially driven and strategically motivated advice at every stage of the construction process from preconstruction phases and bid preparation advice to contract drafting and project implementation.
If disputes arise, we will try to ﬁnd a mutually acceptable amicable solution. If settlement is not possible, we routinely represent clients to resolve disputes through adjudication, arbitration or litigation. We have significant expertise in international arbitration including cases where English, Indian, Sudanese, Chinese, Singapore and Indian laws are applied. Partner Choon Hon Leng represents many major international Chinese contractors and is able to fully conduct arbitrations in Mandarin.
We work eﬃciently, deliver value and are easily accessible, allocating the right lawyer to the right task to ensure high quality yet cost-eﬀective service. Being part of a commercial full-service ﬁrm with integrated practices means that our clients have access to the experience and skills of all our lawyers across a broad spectrum of practice areas.
Some projects in which we have been involved include:
- The Light Rail Transit System, Klang Valley
- The Mass Rapid Transit System, Klang Valley
- The KL Monorail Fleet Expansion Project
- The Electrified Double Track Rail System, Gemas to Johor Bahru
- Duopharma Biotech Bhd’s state-of-the-art plant and warehouse in Klang, Selangor.
- Ann Joo Steel’s iron-making plant in Penang, which entailed a plant construction contract and a lease-with-build agreement for a gas production facility
- An irrigation project involving tunnelling work through karstic limestone, our client (the project contractor) being one of the largest construction companies in the world
- The redesign, transmission enhancement and operation centre relocation of a television system
- A ceramic floor tile production facility in Kluang
- A continuous pickling line and acid regeneration plant at a cold rolled steel facility in Klang
- A biofuel plant in Kajang
- A chlor-alkali plant in Johor
- Savan Park, Savannakhet Project in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic
- Preparing general standard construction contracts for 3 public listed developers
Disputes relating to:
- The collapse of the Kuala Lumpur Eco City link bridge
- A major petroleum-based explosion and fire at Tanjung Langsat Port, Johor
- A gas explosion in a major shopping mall in Melaka
- Defective foundations in a major newsprint mill in Pahang
- Turbine failure in an electric power plant in Penang
- Fire at a landing station in an underwater fibre-optic cable laying project
- A steel mill project in Seberang Prai
- Iskandar Malaysia Project, Johor
- An incineration and power producing plant in Phuket
- Petrodar Pumping Facilities, Sudan (commercial dispute)
- Zanzibar Airport, Tanzania
- A housing project in Dubai
- A major racecourse in Dubai