In recent years, the legal publication AsiaLaw Proﬁles has highly recommended the ﬁrm for the practice area of Construction and in its 2021 and 2022 editions ranked us in the top tier of “Outstanding”. Another leading publication Asia Paciﬁc Legal 500 has also rated the firm very highly for our Real Estate & Construction practice, ranking us in Tier 1 from 2013 – 2018. In the 2017 annual survey of in-house counsel conducted by the publication Asian-MENA Counsel, the firm was named an “Asian-MENA Counsel & In-House Community: Malaysia Firm of the Year 2017” for Real Estate/Construction.
Acknowledged as one of the market leaders, the firm has a large team of lawyers dedicated to our construction law practice. We provide specialist, innovative, practical, commercially driven and strategically motivated advice at every stage of the construction process from preconstruction phases and bid preparation advice to contract drafting and project implementation.
If disputes arise, we will try to ﬁnd a mutually acceptable amicable solution. If settlement is not possible, we routinely represent clients to resolve disputes through adjudication, arbitration or litigation. We have significant expertise in international arbitration. Partner Choon Hon Leng represents many major international Chinese contractors and is able to fully conduct arbitrations in Mandarin.
We work eﬃciently, deliver value and are easily accessible, allocating the right lawyer to the right task to ensure high quality yet cost-eﬀective service. Being part of a commercial full-service ﬁrm with integrated practices means that our clients have access to the experience and skills of all our lawyers across a broad spectrum of practice areas.
Some projects in which we have been involved include:
- The Light Rail Transit System, Klang Valley
- The Mass Rapid Transit System, Klang Valley
- The KL Monorail Fleet Expansion Project
- The Electrified Double Track Rail System, Gemas to Johor Bahru
- Duopharma Biotech Bhd’s state-of-the-art plant and warehouse in Klang, Selangor.
- Ann Joo Steel’s iron-making plant in Penang, which entailed a plant construction contract and a lease-with-build agreement for a gas production facility
- Projects rationalisation exercise undertaken by PR1MA (established under the Perumahan Rakyat 1Malaysia Act 2012 to provide affordable housing to Malaysians)
- Preparing standard construction contracts for several public listed developers
Disputes relating to:
- A major petroleum-based explosion and fire at Tanjung Langsat Port, Johor
- A gas explosion in a major shopping mall in Melaka
- 2 fire explosion incidents at the RAPID Pengerang Oil and Gas complex
- Defective foundations in a major newsprint mill in Pahang
- Two mobile offshore oil and gas production units in Sarawak
- A major international pharmaceutical plant in Negeri Sembilan
- Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 Integrated Complex