Ooi Huey Miin
Huey Miin practises in the field of corporate, commercial and civil dispute resolution. He has appeared as counsel at all levels of the Malaysian courts and in arbitrations, both domestic and international, on disputes covering a diverse range of areas. He also sits as an arbitrator and adjudicator in construction disputes.
Huey Miin’s focus area has been in commercial arbitration and arbitration-related court proceedings. He has successfully acted for clients in numerous arbitration related court proceedings, including both resisting and seeking enforcement and challenges to arbitral awards. A number of the reported cases he has to his credit involve arbitration-related issues of general importance.
Notable victories include successfully resisting a series of applications in the High Court and appeals/applications to the Court of Appeal and Federal Court arising therefrom for the setting aside of awards made in arbitrations relating to a production sharing contract between multi-national oil and gas companies (for whom Huey Miin acted) and the Government of India. The financial impact of these arbitrations exceeded USD400 million.
Huey Miin has been a member of the Council of the Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators and of the Malaysian Branch Committee of the United Kingdom’s Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) and is on the CIArb’s “Approved Faculty List” as a tutor and assessor for CIArb’s courses on arbitration, adjudication and mediation. He currently serves as a Trainer in the Malaysian Bar Council’s Advocacy Training course.
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons) (University of Sheffield)
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION & MEMBERSHIP
- Barrister-at-Law (admitted as a member of the Honourable Society of Middle Temple)
- Admitted to the Bar of England and Wales: 9th October 1998
- Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya
- Admitted to the Malaysian Bar: 12th August 1999
- Fellow of the Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators (FMIArb)
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- Member of the panel of arbitrators of theAsian International Arbitration Centre(formerly known as the Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration, Malaysia)
- Member of the panel of adjudicators of the Asian International Arbitration Centre (AIAC)
- Member of the panel of mediators of the AIAC
- Member of the Disciplinary Committee Panel appointed by the Advocates and Solicitors’ Disciplinary Board under the Legal Profession Act 1976