The ﬁrm has been constantly ranked and recommended by reputable legal publications such as Asia Paciﬁc Legal 500, Managing Intellectual Property, Asia IP, AsiaLaw Profiles and Chambers Asia Pacific as being amongst the top law firms in Malaysia for Intellectual Property (“IP”).
The noteworthy comments that have been heaped on the IP team include:
‘The “excellent IP team” at Raja, Darryl & Loh fields “creative, resourceful and effective lawyers”.’
Interviewees praise the firm’s client commitment, reporting that the team “are very professional and dedicated in their work”.’
‘The team is respected for their “expertise in their field and provides legal assistance as and when needed, without delay”, adds another client.’
‘Strengths: The firm's interpersonal and technical skills are praised. A client says: “Their partners are reputed experts in their field” as well as being “personable and approachable”.’
The firm can be said to be one of the pioneers among law firms in Malaysia in respect of IP law practice. Our reputation has been built on the foundations of our considerable experience in advising on trademarks, patents, copyright, designs, anti-counterfeiting, domain names, franchising, licensing, litigation involving IP issues, portfolio management and technology.
Examples of the work we do:
- Co-ordination on behalf of local and foreign clients for the protection and enforcement of their IP rights (“IPR”) in Malaysia and abroad
- Filing, both in Malaysia and overseas, of applications for the registration of trademarks, patents, utility innovations and industrial designs and the subsequent prosecution and monitoring of these applications. In this connection, we work with our network of foreign associate firms in respect of registrations overseas; correspondingly, we ﬁle and monitor applications in Malaysia on behalf of those firms’ clients.
- Enforcement of IPR, whether through civil proceedings or by facilitating criminal prosecutions
- Monitoring of government gazettes for timely lodgement of opposition proceedings against infringers
- Public policy work such as lobbying for change of laws and procedures with the relevant governmental agencies
- Implementation of antipiracy / anti-counterfeiting programmes for clients
- Registration of domain names on behalf of clients with the Malaysian Network Information Centre (“MYNIC“) for the registration of country code Top Level Domain (.my)
- The implementation of educational and marketing campaigns involving IPR for clients
- The commercial exploitation of IPR such as the preparation of collaboration agreements, know-how agreements, licence agreements, franchise agreements, and the registration of franchises with the relevant governmental authority.
Our firm-wide experience and knowledge in diverse industries have equipped us with the relevant knowhow in providing our clients with sound, creative and comprehensive advice for the protection and enforcement of their IPR. We strongly believe in a proactive and aggressive approach but may tailor such an approach according to our clients’ internal policies. We also believe in dealing with issues in a “macro” way by identifying the clients’ objectives and needs. The IP Practice Group often works with other practice groups in the ﬁrm, for example, assisting the Corporate & Commercial Practice Group to conduct an IP due diligence exercise for a merger & acquisition transaction, or working with litigators from the Dispute Resolution Practice Group to obtain an injunction from the Courts against an infringer of our client’s IPR. The fact that we are a full-service commercial ﬁrm means that clients have the beneﬁt of seamless integrated legal advice and representation.
Our clients range from multinationals to small business enterprises and individuals across a wide spectrum of sectors including consumer goods, food and beverage, financial services, medical services, automobile industries, construction and engineering, manufacturing, entertainment, computers and technology.