Employment & Industrial Relations
The ﬁrm was ranked as a top-tier ﬁrm in the category of Industrial Relations in the 2012 – 2014 editions of Asia Paciﬁc Legal 500. It has been highly rated in the 2015 – 2019 editions. The ﬁrm is also highly recommended by another publication, AsiaLaw Proﬁles, for the years 2013 – 2018 in the category of Labour & Employment.
Partner Ravindra Kumar Rengasamy is a recognised practitioner in this practice area.
The ﬁrm advises clients on a diverse range of employment issues, for example :
- advising on collective agreements, mutual separation agreements and voluntary separation schemes and the preparation of documents incidental thereto;
- advising on domestic inquiries;
- reviewing and drafting employment contracts;
- structuring retrenchment exercises and preparing all relevant documentation;
- reviewing and redrafting employees’ handbooks/manuals to ensure compliance with Malaysian employment laws;
- structuring effective performance review plans.
We also represent local and foreign and/or multinational companies in unfair dismissal, retrenchment and constructive dismissal cases at the Industrial Court.
In addition, the ﬁrm has represented various companies in judicial review applications to the High Court and in injunction applications and civil actions pertaining to issues of breaches of nondisclosure and/or non-solicitation clauses by former employees.
The ﬁrm has also defended employers in civil suits brought by former employees against the employers alleging various claims including, but not limited to, defamation.