Tong Lai Ling
Partner – Head of Technology, Multimedia & Telecommunications
+603-2632 9878 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Lai Ling heads the Technology, Multimedia & Telecommunications (TMT) Practice Group. She works with a range of clients in the TMT sector, advising on commercial issues and drafting and negotiating IT and telecommunications contracts, including agreements relating to procurement, software development, maintenance and support services, outsourcing, service level agreements, e-commerce, cloud services and privacy policies. She also advises clients from a variety of industries on compliance with cyber laws. as well as emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things.
Recently, Lai Ling led her team in acting for a telecommunications equipment and services provider in the provision of a turnkey system, advising the client in the agreement for the manufacture, supply, delivery, integration, installation, testing, commissioning, management, operation and maintenance of the same.
In another major project Lai Ling advised a global cutting-edge communications solutions provider on its supply, installation, testing and commissioning of a communications system agreement in relation to the metering infrastructure of its customer, a Malaysian utility.
The well-known publication, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, in its 2021 – 2024 editions enrolled Lai Ling in its “Hall of Fame”, having in previous years listed her as a Leading Individual in TMT. She has also been ranked highly by Chambers Asia Pacific in its 2019 – 2024 editions. Another publication, asialaw named her as a Distinguished Practitioner in its 2021 – 2023 editions. For the last 2 years, Lai Ling has been listed in Asian Legal Business’s “Asia Super 50 TMT Lawyers”, one of only two lawyers from Malaysia to be included.
She has been described in legal publications as ‘a recognised expert in this sector’, ‘meticulous, responsive and practical’, that she ‘really understands clients’ needs’ and that she has ‘experience and knowledge on IT and software agreements.’
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific has quoted clients as saying:
- ‘Tong Lai Ling has strong TMT and data protection capabilities and knowledge‘;
- “Tong Lai Ling is an outstanding lawyer with excellent client service standards‘;
- ‘Tong Lai Ling is ever-reliable and responsive, and delivers a consistently high standard of service and work product.’
The subject of data protection is another area covered by Lai Ling. Aside from issues arising under the Personal Data Protection Act 2010, Lai Ling provides advice on data sharing agreements and cross border data transfer risk assessment. In recognition of the high quality of her work in relation to the law on data protection, the Who’s Who Legal 2023 has recommended Lai Ling as a National Leader for Southeast Asia – Data 2023.
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
- Admitted to the New Zealand Bar: 17th December 1993
- Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya
- Admitted to the Malaysian Bar: 29th July 1999
- Member of the Malaysian Bar Council Ad Hoc Committee on Personal Data Protection
- Member of the Malaysian Bar Council Information Technology and Cyberlaw Committee
- Vice Chair of the Inter Pacific Bar Association TMT committee
- Member of the Society for Computers & Law (UK)