Tong Lai Ling
Lai Ling heads the Technology, Multimedia & Telecommunications (TMT) division in the Intellectual Property & Technology Practice Group. She works with a range of clients in the TMT sector, advising on commercial issues and drafting and negotiating IT and telecommunications contracts, including agreements relating to procurement, software development, maintenance and support services, outsourcing, service level agreements, e-commerce, cloud services and privacy policies. She also advises clients from a variety of industries on compliance with cyber laws as well as the Personal Data Protection Act 2010. Of late, Lai Ling has been advising on emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things.
A significant project that she was involved in was the mobile number portability (MNP) clearinghouse services project spearheaded by the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) where she represented the MNP clearinghouse in respect of its agreements with the MCMC and the mobile cellular providers.
In another major project Lai Ling advised a global cutting-edge communications solutions provider on its supply, installation, testing and commissioning of a communications system agreement in relation to the metering infrastructure of its customer, a Malaysian utility.
The well-known publication, the Asia Pacific Legal 500, in its 2021 edition enrolled Lai Ling in its Hall of Fame, having in previous years listed her as a Leading Individual in TMT. She has also been ranked highly by Chambers Asia Pacific in its 2019 – 2021 editions. AsiaLaw Profiles named her as a Distinguished Practitioner in its 2021 edition. She has been described in legal publications as ‘a recognised expert in this sector’, ‘meticulous, responsive and practical’, that she ‘really understands clients’ needs’ and that she has ‘experience and knowledge on IT and software agreements.’ Lately, the Asia Pacific Legal 500 quoted a client saying: ‘‘Tong Lai Ling has strong TMT and data protection capabilities and knowledge‘.
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons) (Victoria University of Wellington)
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION & MEMBERSHIP
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
- Admitted to the New Zealand Bar: 17th December 1993
- Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya
- Admitted to the Malaysian Bar: 29th July 1999
- Member of the Malaysian Bar Council Ad Hoc Committee on Personal Data Protection
- Member of the Malaysian Bar Council Information Technology and Cyberlaw Committee
- Member of the Inter Pacific Bar Association TMT committee
- Member of the Society for Computers & Law (UK)