Raja Eileen Soraya binti Raja Aman
Raja Eileen Soraya practises in the area of civil and commercial litigation and her work includes tortious and contractual claims both in the courts and in arbitration. She has appeared as counsel in the superior courts in Malaysia, including the appellate courts, and has many reported cases in the law journals. Eileen, together with then partner Darryl Goon, during 2015-2017 successfully represented the financial publication The Edge in judicial review proceedings against the Malaysian Government arising from the suspension of the publications due to the articles on the 1MDB scandal. She also paired with Darryl Goon in winning the case (at the Federal Court) for Sunway Medical Centre in an action by a patient on claims of vicarious liability and breach of a non-delegable duty of care allegedly owed to patients.
Currently focusing on medico-legal and dento-legal cases as well as reputational management and media law, Eileen contributed to the Malaysian Annotated Statutes on the Defamation Act 1957 and the Sedition Act 1948 published by LexisNexis and to the Defamation chapter of the Malaysian Atkin’s Court Forms. The work done by Eileen and her team caused the international publication Media Law International to rank the firm as the market leader in media law in Malaysia from 2016 – 2020.
Eileen has been recognized by the Asia Pacific Legal 500 publication for many years as a Leading Individual in Dispute Resolution. Its 2021 edition has listed her in its Hall of Fame. Another publication, AsiaLaw Profiles, ranked her as a Leading Lawyer in Dispute Resolution for the years 2016 – 2019 and as a Distinguished Practitioner for 2020 and 2021. She has also been listed as a “Dispute Resolution Star” by Benchmark Litigation in 2018 – 2020. In June 2020, Eileen was listed in the inaugural edition of Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific Top 100 Women in Litigation.
She serves the local legal profession as a Trainer in the Bar Council’s Advocacy Training courses.
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons) (London School of Economics and Political Science)
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION & MEMBERSHIP
- Barrister-at-Law (admitted as a member of the Honourable Society of Inner Temple)
- Admitted to the Bar of England and Wales: 1994
- Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya
- Admitted to the Malaysian Bar: 10th January 1997
- President of the Medico-Legal Society of Malaysia 2018 – 2020
- Member of the Malaysian Bar Council Legal Profession Committee 2018 –
- Member of the Executive Committee of the Malaysian Bar Council’s Advocacy Training Courses 2020