Datuk Darryl Goon Siew Chye
Datuk Darryl Goon Siew Chye, PJN, DMSM, retired from the Court of Appeal of Malaysia in June 2022. Prior to his time on the bench, he was the head of the Dispute Resolution Practice Group of the firm and was one of the foremost litigators in the country. Consistently top-ranked in leading legal publications and directories, Datuk Darryl Goon’s prowess and versatility were manifest in the variety of litigation and arbitration work he handled during his 35.5 years at the Bar – cases that involved laws relating to, inter alia, medical negligence, intellectual property, defamation, companies, insurance, real property and judicial review of administrative decisions.
Among his stand-out cases was the successful representation of the Edge Media Group in an application for judicial review against the decision of the Minister of Home Affairs that suspended the publication of The Edge Malaysia and The Edge Financial Daily arising from the articles published on the 1MDB scandal. In 2017 the Minister was ultimately ordered by the Federal Court to pay damages to the Edge Media Group. This case is a precedent for the principle that damages may be awarded for the infringement of constitutional rights.
One of his last major cases at the Bar was a landmark reported case that involved the important issue of whether a private hospital may be vicariously liable for the acts of the doctors practising there and/or whether it owes a non-delegable duty of care to patients.
Datuk Darryl is a Fellow of both the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and the Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators.
Back in 2012, when the Rules of Court 2012 were prepared, Datuk Darryl was a member of the Task Force set up under the auspices of the Bar Council to undertake this important responsibility.
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons) (University of London)
- Master of Laws (University of London)
- Diploma in Air & Space Law (London Institute of World Affairs)
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Barrister (called by the Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn)
- Called to the Bar of England and Wales: 24th July 1980
- Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya
- Admitted to the Malaysian Bar: 18th September 1982
- Advocate & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore
- Admitted to the Singapore Bar: 10th November 1993
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- Fellow of the Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators (FMIArb)