In July 2023, the Inland Revenue Board of Malaysia introduced guidelines addressing the gradual implementation of e-invoice for taxpayers as follows:
- 1 June 2024: Taxpayers with an annual turnover or revenue of more than RM 100 million.
- 1 January 2025: Taxpayers with an annual turnover or revenue of more than RM 50 million and up to RM 100 million.
- 1 January 2026: Taxpayers with an annual turnover or revenue of more than RM 25 million and up to RM 50 million.
- 1 January 2027: All taxpayers and certain non-business transactions.
To facilitate taxpayers’ transition to e-Invoice, the Inland Revenue Board of Malaysia has developed 2 e-Invoice transmission mechanisms:
- a portal (MyInvois Portal) hosted by the Inland Revenue Board of Malaysia; and
- Application Programming Interface (API).
When a sale or transaction is concluded the supplier is required to create an e-Invoice in accordance with the defined structure (i.e. XML or JSON) and submit it to the Inland Revenue Board of Malaysia for validation.
The link to the guidelines is below: https://www.hasil.gov.my/media/hsulrygk/irbm-e-invoice-guideline-version-10.pdf
Please do not hesitate to contact the following persons if you require any clarification
Vijey M. Krishnan (Partner)
(T): 603 – 2632 9868
William Wong (Partner)
(T): 603 – 2632 9905
Chang Ee Leen (Partner)
(T): 603 – 2632 9911
Michael Fork Chun Sin (Associate)
(T): 603 – 2632 9850