Raja, Darryl & Loh is one of the larger law firms in the country with key focus and experiences in a multitude of practice areas, such as dispute resolution, corporate and commercial law, tax, technology, media and telecommunications (TMT), medical law and healthcare, construction, employment and industrial relations, intellectual property, FinTech and infrastructure.
Some examples of recent corporate and commercial work (led by Chong Kok Seng, Tai Chu Wei or Joyce Teh) are as follows:
- Acted for the creditors of an airline company and another in respect of the recent debt restructuring involving RM16 billion of debts of the airline group, effected pursuant to new English companies legislation
- Advised a public listed company in its acquisition of a majority stake in a private company for RM205 million
- Advised or is advising various multinational companies in regard to its restructuring (spanning various industries such as the oil and gas industry, manufacturing industry and retail industry to name a few).
- Advised a public-listed pharmaceutical company in respect of its investment into a local digital health services provider.
- Advised on various aspects of renewable energy projects.
- Acting as Malaysian counsel in various global acquisitions or sales of a company/business specialising in innovative airway and respiratory products; a major sports apparel brand, and media solutions, to name a few).
The firm is one of the few legal firms that have a dedicated TMT team, advising on commercial issues and drafting and negotiating IT and telecommunications contracts, including agreements relating to procurement, software development, maintenance and support services, outsourcing, service level agreements, e-commerce, cloud services, privacy policies, cyber laws as well as emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things. Of late, there has been an increase in advisory work relating to online tools, online games and video streaming apps.
The TMT practice group has been highly ranked by major publications such as Asia Pacific Legal 500, Chambers Asia Pacific and AsiaLaw Profiles. Lead partner, Tong Lai Ling, was listed in the “Hall of Fame” by the Asia Pacific Legal 500 in 2020 and 2021.
In regard to Tax, the firm provides advice as well as representation in the Courts and before tribunals on all facets of Malaysian taxes including income tax, real property gains tax, customs duties, sales & service tax, entertainments duty and stamp duty. Appearing often before the Special Commissioners of Income Tax, the Customs Appeal Tribunal, the High Court and the Court of Appeal, the team has tax litigation experience in all forms of revenue law. Its success on certain issues has prompted legislative changes to the Income Tax Act, 1967.
Besides being ranked as “Highly Recommended” by AsiaLaw Profiles, the Tax practice has also been well-rated by Asia Pacific Legal 500, Chambers Asia Pacific and Benchmark Litigation.
Tax partner Vijey Krishnan is listed as:
- a “Leading Individual” for Tax in Asia Pacific Legal 500.
- a “Distinguished Practitioner” in AsiaLaw Profiles
- a “Highly Regarded Lawyer” in IFLR1000 (International Financial Law Review) and
- a “Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation.