Choon Hon Leng
Partner – Dispute Resolution, Construction, Infrastructure & Energy
+603-2632 9888 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Hon Leng’s niche is in Infrastructure Projects with clients that are Government–owned infrastructure companies. He was appointed to draft and prepare the new Turnkey Construction agreement for the conversion of the then-existing Project Delivery Partner model for the Klang Valley Mass Rapid Transit 2 Project to a Turnkey Contractor model, making the contract (for both above-ground and underground portions) a fixed price contract and reducing the project cost from RM39.35 billion to RM30.53 billion.
Another such client is the Perumahan Rakyat 1Malaysia Corporation (PR1MA), an agency established under the Perumahan Rakyat 1Malaysia Act 2012 as part of the Government’s initiative to address the need for sustainable housing and community living in urban areas in Malaysia. We were engaged to advise and review PR1MA’s entire existing business, development and contractual models for the development of PR1MA projects. After completing the review, we provided the client with recommendations, worked with the client to modify/streamline the existing structure and then prepared the necessary documentation for implementation. This is a substantial exercise which is still ongoing and will have implications on the Government’s affordable housing scheme/programme, which affects the lives of citizens in Malaysia.
Construction law being Hon Leng’s foundation, his experience in this regard includes pre-contract negotiation, contract documentation, project advice, post-dispute negotiation and formal dispute resolution (including construction adjudication under the Construction Industry Payment and Adjudication Act 2012). He has also acted as lead counsel in several construction arbitrations, notably as the lead counsel for an arbitration held in the People’s Republic of China involving Malaysian and Chinese entities where the proceedings were conducted wholly in Mandarin under the CIETAC arbitration rules. Over the years, Hon Leng has been invited as speaker and presented papers at construction conferences on various topics, including loss and expense claims, arbitration, dispute handling, project management and contractual issues.
In addition, Hon Leng has spread his wings to intellectual property and technology. He began with representing clients in dispute resolution – so far he has already handled disputes such as those relating to copyright infringement, trademark infringement, patent infringement, passing off, breach of confidentiality, projects on procurement and/or upgrading of software and/or IT outsourcing – and has developed his expertise to dispute management, advising on matters as complex as infrastructure building, network sharing, network services, equipment procurement/upgrading and data security.
Hon Leng is the current President of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Malaysia Branch).
AsiaLaw Profiles in its 2017 publication listed Hon Leng as a Rising Star Lawyer, in its 2018 and 2019 publications as a Leading Lawyer and in its 2020 – 2022 publications as a Distinguished Practitioner.
In the 2022 edition of Asia Pacific Legal 500, clients were quoted as saying :
- ‘Choon Hon Leng provides quick, in-depth responses to problems with solutions driven by years of experience.’
- ‘Team lead Hon Leng Choon has a strong track record in handling disputes arising out of the construction of major infrastructure projects.’
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons) (University of Sheffield, England)
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION & MEMBERSHIP
- Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya
- Admitted to the Malaysian Bar: 6th November 2003
- Certificate in Legal Practice, Malaysian Legal Profession Qualifying Board
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- Fellow of the Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators (FMIArb)
- President of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Malaysia Branch)
- Member of the Panel of Arbitrators, Asian International Arbitration Centre (AIAC)
- Member of the Panel of Adjudicators, AIAC
- Member of the Panel of Arbitrators, Hainan International Arbitration Court
- Member of the Expert Advisory Committee for AIAC’s Standard Form of Building Contracts
- Member of the Taylor’s University Law School’s Legal Profession Advisory Panel