Choon Hon Leng
Hon Leng has advised various players in the construction industry, including employers, main contractors, subcontractors and consultants in projects of various sizes and types. His experience in this regard includes pre-contract negotiation, contract documentation, project advice, post-dispute negotiation and formal dispute resolution (including construction adjudication under the Construction Industry Payment and Adjudication Act 2012). He has also acted as lead counsel in several construction arbitrations, notably as the lead counsel for an arbitration held in the People’s Republic of China involving Malaysian and Chinese entities where the proceedings were conducted wholly in Mandarin under the CIETAC arbitration rules. Over the years, Hon Leng has been invited as speaker and presented papers at construction conferences on various topics, including loss and expense claims, arbitration, dispute handling, project management and contractual issues.
In addition, Hon Leng has spread his wings to intellectual property and technology. He began with representing clients in dispute resolution – so far he has already handled disputes such as those relating to copyright infringement, trademark infringement, patent infringement, passing off, breach of confidentiality, projects on procurement and/or upgrading of software and/or IT outsourcing – and has developed his expertise to dispute management, advising on matters as complex as infrastructure building, network sharing, network services, equipment procurement/upgrading and data security.
Hon Leng has been elected as the Vice-President of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Malaysia Branch) for 2019-2020.
AsiaLaw Profiles in its 2017 publication listed Hon Leng as a Rising Star Lawyer, in its 2018 and 2019 publications as a Leading Lawyer and in its 2020 publication as a Distinguished Practitioner.
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons) (University of Sheffield, England)
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION & MEMBERSHIP
- Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya
- Admitted to the Malaysian Bar: 6th November 2003
- Certificate in Legal Practice, Malaysian Legal Profession Qualifying Board
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- Vice-President of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Malaysia Branch) for 2019-2020
- Member of the Panel of Arbitrators, Asian International Arbitration Centre (formerly known as the Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration)
- Member of the Panel of Adjudicators, Asian International Arbitration Centre (AIAC)
- Member of the Expert Advisory Committee for AIAC’s Standard Form of Building Contracts
- Member of the Taylor’s Law School’s Industry Advisory Panel